Thursday, November 10, 2011

First Witness

Well, well, well. There's an interesting piece of news in the baseball world. Korean pitcher Yoon Seok-Min is looking to come to Major League Baseball, and he's even hired Scott Boras as his agent. That's cool, I guess, but what's the big deal? Don't lots of foreign players jump to MLB? Indeed they do, but most of them make the transition before I've seen them live, not after. If we go back two and a half months, we find that Yoon Seok-Min was the home team pitcher for the game I attended this year. To boot, he had a masterful performance against the team that went on to be runner-up in this year's Korea Series.

Do you realize what this means? If Mr. Yoon becomes an MLB star, I'll be able to tell everyone I saw him first! I knew of his greatness before Joe MLB Fan had ever heard of him! All those johnny-come-latelies would have nothing on me!

Of course, if he comes to MLB and turns into a bust, none of this will matter. Who cares if you saw him first? He stinks! Even worse, he could end up with a team I hate and I'd be forced to root against him regardless of how well he does. After the way the 2011 MLB Postseason went (I actually had a nightmare about it recently and woke up feeling pretty rotten), I know not to get my hopes up about anything when it comes to baseball.

Oh, life.

4 comments:

  1. For your sake I hope he goes to a team you like or better yet love! I can only imagine how Xmas at Steve's family will be after the World Series as a good number of them root for that team that I shall not name. Hopefully with all the changes the Cubs are making our year will be soon! What a crazy mess that'll be! Hope everything is going well, I miss your regular posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tina. I'm sorry you have to spend time with people who root for that evil team. I still haven't recovered from the heartbreak this season brought me. I'm getting teary just thinking about it. Sheesh, is there any doubt how much the game of baseball means to me?

    I'm optimistic about the Cubs' future with Theo Epstein in charge. He's very highly-regarded in the business, so before this decade is out, the drought will hopefully be snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now that the Cubs Announced the new manager, I'm curious to see what you think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I don't have much of an opinion of Dale Sveum, as he has very little previous managerial experience. I hope he does well, of course, but I don't have enough data to make any sort of prediction about what to expect. I think it'll be a few years before the Cubs contend again, so right now they just need to focus on building up a good organization.

    ReplyDelete