Saturday, March 16, 2013

Korean Music Time! #7: Peregrine Falcon - I Really Don't Know (송골매 - 난 정말 모르겠네)

Some people actually read this blog, and they get annoyed when I don't update. Here's a present for them! Korean arena rock translated into English! I found this song on YouTube and liked it (and it had simple lyrics), so I thought I'd translate the sucker.

I ought to do a writeup for the drama I finished watching about a month ago, so if you like my updates, you can look forward to that at some point, probably.





정말 모르겠네
I Really Don’t Know

(Verse)
그대를 보고싶은 마음 하늘에 비할까
Shall I compare this heart that wants to see you to the sky?
그대를 사모하는 마음 바다에 비할까
Shall I compare this heart that longs for you to the sea?
그대를 기다리다가 타버린 내마음
My heart that waited for you and then burned up
부풀은 빨간풍선처럼 터질듯한 내마음
My heart that seemed as though it would pop like an inflated red balloon
하지만 그대 마음을 정말 모르겠네
However, I really don’t know your heart
요랬다 저랬다 하는 마음 정말 모르겠네
I really don’t know your fickle heart

(Chorus)
그대 나를 좋아하고 있는걸까
Is it that you like me?
미워하고 있는걸까
Is it that you hate?
밤을 새워 생각해도 그대마음
Even if I think about it all night long
나는 정말 모르겠네
I really don’t know your heart
나는 정말 모르겠네
I really don’t know



Pretty straightforward, as you can see. The lyrics definitely have a more Korean flavor than we English speakers would expect from arena rock, which makes them kind of funny to me. Those old-style pop music lyricists loved their nature imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment