Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rough Week

This last week at school was one of my most difficult yet.

For starters, one of the Korean teachers left. This wasn't just any teacher though, we're talking about a woman who was an integral part of this school. In the classes I co-taught with her, her presence was often required for anything to get accomplished. It was strange having to do some of them on my own, and it was a near-miracle that I was able to get as much done as I did. There was also some schedule shuffling mid-week, and it was hectic getting used to different protocol for the same classes.

Of course, that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was that I was hit with a cold that hoarsened my voice. It's tough keeping a class under control when you don't speak the kids' language; not being able to raise your voice above a low rasp makes it something like fighting a war with Nerf guns. I did the best I could though, and I hope I gave the kids sufficient teaching despite my vocal limitations.

My voice is getting better, and it's almost back to normal, but I've been resting it for most of the weekend. My hope for the next week is that it goes much more smoothly and that the obstacles will be kept to a minimum.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that does sound like a stressful week! Hopefully you didn't just rest your voice but rested in general over the weekend. Unfortunately, the flu/cold are going around work and I'm just waiting to get it. Hoping your clears up real fast!

    Hope everything else in Ian life is going great!

    ReplyDelete